Japanese Long Hair Story Translated (from old Japanese website)

by ZC

In the life of Mitsuki Kuroki

Mitsuko Kuroki, at 32 years old, does not consider herself conventionally attractive. With a fuller figure and a face that carries the gentle marks of time, she often feels overlooked. Yet, she possesses a singular pride: her luxuriant, knee-length black hair. This hair, thick with volume and without a hint of tapering, boasts a richness and luster that defy her age. Its smooth texture is often mistaken for the hair of a much younger woman.

Her journey with her hair began at the age of 20. Back then, Mitsuko's hair was only semi-long, but upon receiving a compliment from a friend who suggested that longer hair might enhance her appeal to men, Mitsuko decided to let her hair grow. This decision marked the beginning of a dedicated regimen. She eschewed hair dryers for towel-drying, nourished her hair with high-quality shampoos, conditioners, and treatments, and enriched her diet with plenty of seaweed.

By 25, Mitsuko's efforts had paid off, and her hair had grown beautifully long, reaching her waist. However, as years passed, the fashion for one-length long hair faded. Her friends began suggesting that she cut it, saying that long hair was no longer in style. Despite these pressures, Mitsuko couldn't bring herself to cut the hair she had so painstakingly grown. To her, this magnificent black hair was her defining feature.

Now, at 32, with her hair reaching her knees, Mitsuko remains unconfident about her looks but takes immense pride in her unparalleled hair. Despite feeling insecure about her facial features and body shape, she clings to the hope that someone will someday cherish her for her appearance and exceptional hair.

Chapter 1 - Mitsuko's Morning

At 6 a.m. on a sunny morning, Mitsuko Kuroki stirred from her slumber. “I have to get up now…” she murmured to herself, pushing off her bedcovers. The hairnet she wore was visibly bulging with the mass of her rich, black hair. As she washed her face in the bathroom, the weight of the hairnet caused it to sway heavily.

After finishing her morning ablutions, Mitsuko sat upright at her dressing table. She tilted her head, gripped the hairnet with her right hand, and gently pulled it off.

“Passa…”

Her lustrous black hair cascaded down her back, flowing over her shoulders and waist, and spreading onto the floor. Annoyed by a stray lock, Mitsuko brushed her hair back from her face. The contrast between her fair, slightly round face and the jet-black hair exuded an unexpected allure.

Mitsuko opened the top drawer of her dressing table, revealing a collection of boxwood combs. She favored these because they were the least damaging to her hair. Selecting a coarse comb, she began the meticulous process of combing her hair from the ends upward, enhancing its shine and smoothness. After thoroughly combing through, Mitsuko applied a liberal amount of camellia oil—her preferred treatment to maintain her hair's beauty. This oil, a high-grade product from Izu Oshima costing 5,000 yen per bottle, was a weekly necessity given the length of her hair.

With the oil evenly distributed, Mitsuko took a fine-toothed boxwood comb and again combed from the tips to the scalp, the comb gliding effortlessly through her silky strands. Her hair gleamed as if she were in a shampoo commercial. Satisfied, Mitsuko gathered her hair at the nape, combing it back and murmuring, “Buffa~,” as it shimmered and flowed down her back.

After a few moments, she twisted her hair into a bun, securing it with several hairpins and a pink heart-shaped ornament. The size of the bun, about 15 cm in diameter, showcased the impressive length and thickness of her hair. Mitsuko then applied her makeup—chalky foundation and rose pink lipstick—highlighting the striking contrast between her pale skin and dark hair. Finally, she spritzed her hair with perfume, enveloping herself in a fragrant cloud.

“I’m done…” she announced, marking the end of her morning ritual. By 7 a.m., Mitsuko was fully dressed and her hair impeccably styled, ready to start her day.

Chapter 2 - Coming back home

Mitsuko finished work and returned to her 1DK apartment at 7 p.m. She entered her room and immediately settled in front of her dressing table. “Now, let’s undo my hair…” she sighed, beginning the methodical process of removing the hairpins that held her large bun in place.

As she carefully removed each pin, the bun at the back of her head loosened. It slowly unraveled, the dense mass of hair almost reaching her shoulders. When she finally took out the large tortoiseshell clip, her hair unfurled, cascading down her back and waist, and fanning out over the tatami mat as if releasing pent-up energy.

Mitsuko shifted her long, loose hair to drape over her left shoulder. Holding a coarse boxwood comb in her right hand, she began to comb from the ends, gradually working upwards, restoring its silky texture. Once satisfied, she stood up, her hair fully covering her back, reaching down to her knees.

She headed to the bath, though it was more about washing her hair than bathing. With such length, daily shampooing was impractical, so she opted to wash her hair every other day. She prepared by placing a large water towel next to her change basket in the dressing area. Mitsuko undressed, taking care not to catch her hair, and entered the bathroom. She sat on a higher-than-usual chair, which made washing her long hair easier.

Turning on the shower, Mitsuko adjusted the water to a lukewarm temperature and carefully wet her hair, ensuring it was thoroughly soaked. She took her time rinsing out any dust with the hot water, her wet hair spreading across the bath floor.

After rinsing, Mitsuko turned off the water, brushed her bangs from her face, and reached for her shampoo. Her favorite, “Midori no Kurokami,” was a premium product from Izu Oshima, costing over 5,000 yen per bottle. Despite her modest salary, Mitsuko never compromised on hair care expenses. She carefully lathered the shampoo in her hands and gently worked it through her hair from roots to tips, taking care not to scrub harshly.

Following the shampoo, Mitsuko rinsed her hair thoroughly, then applied a treatment from the same brand. She used a generous amount, ensuring every strand was coated, from scalp to tips. The treatment integrated into her hair, enhancing its natural shine.

She then soaked a large towel in hot water, wrung it out, and wrapped her twisted, towel-sized hair in it, allowing the treatment to penetrate deeply for an hour.

After washing her face and body, Mitsuko settled into the bathtub, contemplating the laborious process. “It’s really hard to wash such long black hair... Sometimes I think it would be easier if I cut it off... but this beautiful black hair is the only thing I’m proud of as a woman. I have to put in this much effort to maintain this black hair..." she mused, fully aware of the dedication her magnificent mane required.

Final Chapter

Mitsuko emerged from the bath, dried her body with a towel, and slipped into a T-shirt and pants. Settling in front of her dressing table, she carefully unwrapped the towel from around her hair. Her large, long curls, formed by the towel, were still dripping water.

She gently unfurled the curls, releasing her hair so it cascaded from her nape down to her thighs as she sat upright, spreading out onto the tatami mat. Mitsuko's hair was notably absorbent. She began the drying process by pressing a hair-drying towel against her hair, careful not to rub it aggressively to avoid damage.

As each towel became damp, she replaced it with a fresh one, meticulously removing moisture from her hair. Piles of wet towels accumulated beside her—a testament to the lengthy process required for drying her extensive locks. Mitsuko avoided using a hair dryer to preserve the natural beauty and luster of her hair. After an hour of towel changes, her hair was still only half-dry.

Next, Mitsuko applied camellia oil, a crucial step in her routine. She massaged the oil from her scalp to the tips, restoring a deep luster to her strands. To further dry her hair, Mitsuko turned on a fan in the adjacent room, adjusting it to blow air into her room but positioning it far enough to avoid catching her hair.

As her hair slowly dried in the breeze, it began to flutter lightly, almost dancing in the air. She let her hair flow freely, enjoying the scent of camellia oil filling the room. After 30 minutes under the gentle draft, her hair was finally completely dry. Turning off the fan with a remote, her hair settled back around her, enveloping her in its glossy strands.

Mitsuko's black hair, reaching down to her knees, shimmered under the room's light. She wondered if there was anyone else in the world who had such beautifully maintained hair. Sitting back down, she picked up her boxwood comb and ran it through her hair, enhancing its smooth, moist texture.

“Really, I don't think there are many women who spend as much time and effort on their hair as I do. It's like they live for their hair,” she reflected aloud. “It may seem difficult for others, but for me, it’s worth it. To have such beautiful black hair... I can't lose to anyone. This beautiful black hair is my pride.”

- Author (Anonymous)

************************************** END ***************************************************