Re: "and you would be selling your soul and be living a lie for years on end"

by Longpageboy

This was not religion bashing.

It was telling him that he should not join a religion or a religious group for such totally wrong reasons.

The whole context of what I wrote in my post should have told you that I meant to respect people with such a belief, and that I would strongly advise anybody against faking a belief where there really is none. Trying to meet and chat up super-longhaired girls by joining a religion where women are supposed to never cut their hair will not benefit anyone involved in the long run. It would mean taking advantage of a certain aspect of their religion while not caring for its core content and message. It would mean hurting the people who believe in it.

"Selling one´s soul" was meant here in a totally secular way - like, if you deep inside don´t like children, then don´t become a teacher, whatever benefits the job should have for you otherwise. (Can´t think of a better example right now.)

If you don´t believe in the pentecostal religion, then simply don´t join such a community for other motives.

Got it?