Backups & Spam

by ninja

It's great to read your replies guys, I appreciate that the forum can do with some additional features - I am working on a few additions currently - and I have recently added a couple, like tags: kinkyforums.com/forum/?page=tags ... But, as mentioned by Taylor, I do have quite a few other things going on in my life, so I can't always give KF 100% of my attention, especially because it doesn't make me any income.

As for the option to log in and have accounts. People have mentioned that in the past. I honestly don't think it will solve anything, at least not in terms of spam and/or unwanted posts. People will always be able to create a new account unless I'm going to store all kinds of personal information like phone numbers and such. But I do prefer the anonymity of this place, so that's something I don't want to start doing. Having an account could be convenient in case you want to be able to store things, e.g. bookmark certain posts. This a something I might add at some point.

In terms of spam prevention, there are several filters and other measures in place to keep unwanted posts and posters out. I won't go into details, but they work on different levels in the software.

Backups

Daily backups of the data (posts) are automatically stored in a cloud storage. From time to time I also store them offline. The source code of the forum software lives in a git repository which is distributed over a few hosts. So, I think the chances of loosing everything are rather slim. KF has been around since 2002, so that's over 22 years now. I'm not planning on going anywhere or stopping this site, so don't worry about that.

Feel free to suggest (other) features, I really appreciate that. Overall, I'd like to keep everything as simple as possible. I prefer to stay away from "modern", social media type features. I feel that it makes things overly complicated and bloated (as also mentioned by Bundy above). In essence we simply want to be able to share experiences, photos and videos.

Happy posting

ninja Cool