At the age of 7-8

by ZC

I was 5-6, which is Grade 1. We had to go to the library every day for an hour to read a book. Earlier, we had a guy as the head librarian and an assistant to him. After we got back from our Summer break, we saw new staff in the library. The head librarian was a lady in her 30s named Miss Amelia, with mid-thigh to knee length and big, thick hair; I remember she used many accessories. A headband with a claw clip hairstyle and 2-4 snap clips to ensure her hair stays intact. She had so much hair on her head that it was so thick and coarse. And even her parting style was unique. She used to do a front and a normal parting, making it look like a horizontal front parting line with a normal vertical parting line from the middle. She had light brownish hair. Her hair used to cover her entire back to almost her knees.

What made me excited was her parting and accessories. I remember, once, she was addressing the students, and while doing that, she removed her claw clip to adjust her hair and probably forgot to put it back in her hair for the next 15 minutes. She was addressing the class about the library management system or something. I got so excited just by her open hair and noticed her claw clip kept on the table. I waited for 5 minutes, and I really wanted her claw clip. I asked her if I could go to the washroom, and while going out, I quickly took(stole) it. I went back home, and it smelled really good and was a bit greasy, which I loved. I don't know if she knew I stole it, but she had a different clip the next day.

I met her in 2019, but unfortunately, she has cut it short to her waist now. I still have her claw clip with me.

Ever since I realised what I truly love! I had many classmates with good hair, but Miss Amelia was my first realisation.